My failure to T.E.A.C.H.
My journey to become a teacher seems to be fraught with obstacles.
I've all along wanted to teach Primary school Art, but after 4 applications, MOE still gave me Secondary. Ok, so I gave it a try. That was almost 2.5 years ago.
First day of teaching, and the school throws me English for the Sec 1 Normal Academic and Normal Tech classes, not to mention Art for the whole level. No training, no briefing even, or offers for me to sit in on another teacher's class to learn.
With zero class management skills, I had to deal with students slitting their hands with a penknife in class, fights between big boys that I had to physically break up, and Sec 4 'gangsters' hanging outside my class waiting for a chance to catch their victim.
Then I became pregnant and had nausea so bad that I kept running to the toilet to throw up anything I'd eaten, sometimes holding a plastic bag in class.
I didn't want to risk miscarrying, given the usual situation in my N(A) and N(T) classes. It was so easy to be pushed to the ground during students' fights. So i resigned.
The baby is most important, isn't it?
Still wanted to teach though. So last year I tried again. So glad that MOE gave me another chance. But now I've resigned again.
Feeling quite pessimistic about this.... I doubt that I will not be blacklisted, having tendered my resignation twice now within 2 months of starting the job :(
Labels: Designing My Future, I'm A Mummy