Went to catch Michael Jackson's movie Moonwalker last night at Vivocity. Hubby wanted to watch it because he had played the Sega game when he was younger, but now the cartridge isn't working anymore.

We expected the movie to be reminiscent of the game i.e. follow the storyline of MJ saving children from the baddie named Mr Big (acted by Joe Pesci). Unfortunately, it was even lousier than a bad B-grade movie :( Was telling Hubby that the experience sort of tainted my memory of MJ!
There was no plot, the storyline didn't even make common sense, and some parts have no link at all. Basically it was like a collage of his extended MTVs, with snippets that he wanted to put in. For example, a sequence of himself turning into a Transformer-like alien spaceship -__-"

It didn't help that the seats suck and I was having backache after half an hour. The music was also blaring so loudly that Boy Boy started flinging his limbs in my tummy, and I had to buffer it with my sweater and bag and whatever I could find.
If we weren't sitting right smack in the centre of the row, I would have walked out, since the movie sucked. Fell asleep at some parts. I keep imagining myself pressing on the 'forward' button of a remote control.
Adding insult to injury, we exited the cinema only to see a video shop selling the exact same movie on VCD, at a cheaper price then both our tickets added together. Overheard a couple responding to the tagline "Like no other" that was splashed all over the video... The girl said "Of course like no other, it's so bad!" Hahaha... they must have just caught the same movie slot as us.

But to be frank, the MTVs were the best part of the movie, and watching it made me want to go buy either his concert or MTV collection. Was telling Hubby that it's very poignant:
Elvis was a legend of our parents' generation. He died the year I was born, 1977.
MJ is a legend of our generation. He died the year Boy Boy is to be born, 2009...
Footnote:
Yesterday we bumped into the gala premiere of Jack Neo's new horror-comedy "Where Got Ghost" 吓到笑, starring his usual cast again. Don't know why, I always feel that he's trying too hard. Like this time, he came up with another 'switch off your handphone' ad, which isn't as funny as the previous one. He should have just left it as it was. If not for the fact that a friend is slogging away as part of JTeam, I doubt I would even want to support Neo's movies.

Labels: Cynic In The House, Nostalgic Nut