Interesting case study.
Friend (A) put up a fan page link in his Facebook and asked us to support his friend, a comedian. I took a glance at the lady, and proceeded to comment on his post, praising the lady for her work on TV.
Checked back today to realise that I had mistaken her for another TV comedian. Friend (B) had commented after me, saying "Wrong person!".
My error. I felt bad, imagining how she feels being mistaken for another more successful peer.
What got my goat was the reaction of Friend (A). He commented "Uh Oh."
What kind of reaction was that? As a friend of both parties, I felt that he could have handled it better. What does "Uh Oh" mean? It only serves to make the lady more upset, reinforcing my mistake.
If I were Friend (A), I would make a joke to soften the situation. Maybe say "Wrong person lah! Hahaha!!!" or something to the effect of "Thanks for your support, she'll be as famous as that other comedian very soon!"
Just feel very duh about the "Uh Oh"... and what it says about Friend (A)'s EQ. But which is actually not unexpected, knowing him.
Labels: Cynic In The House