Since becoming pregnant, I've been reading up on motherhood forums and chatting with friends who have been through pregnancy. Many of them talk about having really bad backaches and not being able to bend over to pick things up from the ground, or having difficulty getting up after sitting on the floor.
Indeed I've been getting backaches these few weeks as Boy Boy grows heavier --- I gained 2 kg in the last 2 weeks! He's so heavy that I cannot sleep on my back anymore, as he squashes all my organs and makes it hard for me to breathe.
Sleeping on my sides helps me breathe better, but it squashes a bit of Boy Boy's hands/legs on each side, and he retaliates by giving huge punches/kicks that keep me up all night!
Strangely for me, bending over and getting up from the floor is still okay. Every day I sit on a huge cushion on the floor to use my laptop, and often have to get up to pick up the home phone or just to respond to the cats.
Maybe that is why. Having to constantly 'entertain' the two pesky cats is forcing me to 'exercise' my muscles, although I don't know if that's good or bad for my pregnancy.
My main exercise nowadays is playing 'Bean Bean' with Copper. By coincidence one day, I realised that he enjoys chasing soyabeans. I think it is because the size is just right and similar to bugs, which the cats like to chase around the house.
They will slam their paws down on the unlucky bug, who then gets stuck in between their paw pads. It's actually quite funny when the cats can't figure out where the bug went.
Most importantly, soyabeans are so much cheaper than cat toys sold in pet shops, which sometimes the cats don't even touch after we bring the toys home.
Here's a video of Copper playing Bean Bean.
Unfortunately the beans often roll under the sofa and into nooks and crannies and disappear. One day Hubby found out where all the beans go to die:
So I have to keep climbing up from the floor to throw the bean for Copper. Sometimes I got to crawl on all fours, or look under the sofa to get his bean out too.
Nowdays Copper is clever and will meow and hang around the area, waiting for me to pick the bean out for him. Sometimes when he comes to me dejected after losing his beans (haha!), I will ask him to show me, and he'll bring me to where the bean is stuck.
Hubby is skeptical when I tell him this ;) I'm sure you're rolling your eyes too. But it's true!