One afternoon last year, Hubby was walking home from the carpark when a little ball of fur ran towards him and started rolling around his feet. It was a tiny kitten! It must have been new, for we had never seen it around before.
A few days later, I heard meowing outside my front door and opened it to find the same kitten. We had no idea how it managed to take the lift up to our floor. Could it be fate? Were we meant to take it in as our 3rd cat?
I went out and cuddled it, bringing it close to my main gate where Copper and Marvel were watching, excited at meeting a new friend. Unexpectedly, it was the kitten who hissed and snarled upon meeting. Alas then, we could not bring it home. So I took it back downstairs to the void deck, where it persisted to enter the lift lobby.
After that, we saw it a few times. I named it 小麦 because of its oat colour. In March 08, it grew into a tween and we sort of identified which mother cat it belonged to. It also got into a habit of sleeping in a particular bicycle basket in the void deck, and I got into the habit of visiting him whenever I walked there.

Then 小麦 disappeared for some time. And when he resurfaced, he looked like this:

Big and fat! I guess he had been off picking fights and sowing his wild oats (pun not intended), and kena caught to be neutered (see the clipped ear). Now he looks like a mafia cat! But still meows very un-mafia-ly in his high pitched voice when I call to him.
I seldom see him now though. Hubby has more chance meetings with him :)
Sigh, they grow up so fast... I am apprehensive of the day when Copper and Marvel grow old and become unable to enjoy their daily activities like fighting, chasing each other and leaping onto high places. Or when one of them goes before the other :(
Labels: Animals Were Here First