I'm not sure if you have been keeping abreast of the AWARE saga; a ST poll showed that most people seemed to be disinterested in what was going on, taking it as a catfight between two opposing groups of women who had nothing better to do.
Before the whole hoo-ha, I only knew that this organisation existed, but was not very sure or interested in what they actually do. Afterall, there are so many civil groups around, and I'm more into animal rights than that of human, or women in particular.
What got me drawn into the saga was the report of how the new exco 'won' the AGM. It was an obviously orchestrated coup, with new members joining just to vote their nominee into office. That alone was hardly honourable. And I felt that these people should not be allowed to get away with using such underhanded means.

When news surfaced about their religious connection and agenda, I got even more riled as it was clearly a case of them trying to impose their views on others. The fact that both their 'feminist mentor' and pastor were so self-righteous about their cause made me quite pissed, to be frank.
I am
SO glad that the new exco has been ousted. They should have had integrity and stepped down long ago, as it was obvious that they were not welcomed. At least the whole saga issue has been settled.
But I was appalled that the 'feminist mentor' still wanted to get the last word in and commented that she was horrified by the type of women Singapore has --- simply because we had voted her exco out.
Hello? You do not get the privilege to comment on people, when you showed no integrity in the first place. Geez!!!
Frankly speaking, this incident has further tarnished my view of Christians. I've been on the receiving end of more than a few preaching friends, who are unable to accept 'no' for an answer. So this bull-dozing mentality cut it a bit too close to home. Luckily there were also Christians in the old exco supporters, and that has reminded me to not jump to generalisations :)
Labels: Cynic In The House