I recently borrowed a book from NLB called "The Cat Bible", and learnt a horrifying fact: a dry food diet kills cats! Apparently dry food sellers advertise misleadingly that dry food fights plaque etc, when it is actually just an easy way out for pet owners.
Do you know that cats in fact do not naturally seek water to drink as they get it in their diet in the wild. A cat needs a diet with 70% water, which is usually the case when they hunt and eat meat. Born carnivores, they are only able to get 10% water when they take dry pet food, which in turn gives them a whole range of illnesses such as urinary tract infections and kidney failures.
So horrible! So I'm now in the process of switching my cats from dry to wet food. Being the greedy one, Copper is having no problems with that. He eats almost anything; cat treats, papayas, grapes, yogurt and even ice-cream.
Marvel is the picky one. He only licks his lips when we tempt him with yummy food, but shows no further interest. So this transition to wet food has been a real headache. For the first day or two he didn't even touch anything. I've finally found a really smelly fish and shrimp type that he is starting to get used to, eating more now, but I feel still not enough.
The change to wet food though, seems to have made Marvel healthier. Previously he would just sleep the whole day and be disinterested in most things. Now he's much more active, playing catching all day long. More vocal too, and interacts more with us. Of course, to the annoyance of Copper who would much prefer peace and quiet in the house.
坏蛋猫!

One night I had real trouble sleeping because Marvel was 'singing' all night long outside the bedroom door. He sometimes does that, and from the kind of meowing, it seemed like he was trying to get Copper to play with him. So I ignored him, although it went on longer than usual.
In the morning I was awakened at 7am by Copper whining and scratching my door. Which was not usual at all. I thought he must be hungry, and so woke up to feed him. As I turned to leave the kitchen after feeding to go back to bed, I noticed the floor was wet. The water jug had toppled! Water had seeped all the way under the stove into the appliances stored below it.
I spent 45 minutes cleaning up, wiping and airing dry the appliances. The stove is a bit haywire now.
All this time Marvel was sitting in a corner giving a guilty look, while Copper kept coming to check things out. Marvel must have tried, as he always does, to bite and pull the rubber stopper covering the water jug. 坏蛋猫!
Copper: SIGH. Why me???

Labels: Animals Were Here First, Homebody