A few days ago hubby and I went to KKH for the 5-month scan aimed at checking if everything is alright with our baby. According to the doctor, all seems fine, which is a relief. But of course there is always the disclaimer that the scan does not show up 'everything'. I try not to think too much about it or I'll get too paranoid, what with all the incidences of hole-in-the-heart etc nowadays.
Here's our 1st scan of Boy Boy, done during my very 1st gynae checkup. He was tiny at 9 weeks or about 2 months, measuring only 2.6 cm. See, so much space left in the womb for him to swim around.

This is him at 13 weeks, about 3 months, springing to 7.9 cm in only a difference of 4 weeks' time. Quite scary, can see his spine very clearly. Don't know why he's in that funny pose though. I hope it's because he's quite a silly person like his parents hee hee. Womb getting squeezy.

The latest pic of Boy Boy. He's hit the ceiling! On first sight I thought that he looks like me, at least the side profile. It must be the mouth. Surprisingly, my hubby later also commented that he had the same thought when he first saw the pic on the ultrasound screen.

The both of us are now studying hard to be what we hope are qualified parents --- faithfully attending every session of the prenatal course and signing up for additional parenting talks. I'm also trying to read up on the subject.
An ex-colleague recommended this 'pregnancy manual' to me and it's been quite informative: "What to Expect When You're Expecting" by Heidi Murkoff. It's a boggling 586 pages though, and I haven't even made it to the chapter titled "The First Month" haha!
We've also bought a device called BabyPlus for $288, which I strap to my tummy for an hour twice a day. It emits slow beating sounds in various rhythms that are supposed to engage the foetus' brain and senses early, so that the baby will learn much faster once he is born. I'm still a little wee bit skeptical, but being a kiasu parent, it's something I'm willing to try :)

Since using the device 2 days ago, I've felt the baby move more. Although it may just be my imagination haha. Anyway, this movement is apparently called 'quickening', defined as the first butterfly-like movements of the baby between 18 and 22 weeks. I can feel him flipping around in my tummy like 小飞鱼. Or maybe he's just protesting against the noisy beats interrupting his sleep :)
Labels: Homebody, Pregnancy