I'm still sick. I've had the flu for a week, since last Monday. It all happened like this...
My latest teaching assignment was a 4-day art course for Primary 2 girls in Canossa Convent Primary. I was looking forward to that, as all-girls schools tend to have better discipline. Finally, no little boys to scream at!
The first lesson on Thursday was fine. Everyone had a great time, learning to unwind and relax after their exams. We made some progress with pencil drawing and crayons, even if I had to keep pulling back their short attention span.
Then all hell broke loose on Tuesday, the next lesson. The girls must have really enjoyed their weekends as they seemed to already be in holiday mood, what with only 4 days to end of the school term. I had to shout and really project my voice to keep the little devils (but overall I still think they're angels!) under control, so we can actually get some work done. As with any art class, the headache is the mess created. Spilt water bowls, paint marks on uniforms (although they were supposed to bring aprons or old t-shirts), newspapers flying all over the floor.

As I walked out to the bus-stop, in the rain, at the end of the day, I felt a lump in my throat. No, I was not getting all choked up and poignant about the experience. I was actually feeling the onset of a horrible sore throat. The running nose came swiftly, and by night I was purging phelgm like a gross ah pek.
I called in sick for the next day, but the educational company I'm attached to couldn't find a replacement for the remaining 2 days of class. So I had to go ahead. I could just heck care and stay home to rest, but then the poor girls will have no class.
I didn't like the teacher I was during the following 2 days. With flu comes a shorter temper, and I found myself scolding the girls more often than usual, even giving one class a huge lecture because they were getting too out-of-hand. Only at the end of the day did I noticed essays put up on the wall by the students, describing how they enjoyed their Art lesson the week before, and how Miss Teo is "patient, kind and friendly". Oops.

So I was very surprised when on the last day, I received a purple furry butterfly pen from a girl whose class I taught only for the 1st lesson, before a reshuffling in schedule. I had passed her class to my more experienced teaching partner because they were more rowdy than I had confidence in managing. Felt a little guilty! And touched of course. Many of the other girls also expressed regret and sadness when they realised the course had ended.
At Canossa, I finally experienced what a celebrity would. From the moment I step into the school, people would be calling my name and expecting a wave-back everywhere I went, all the way until I escaped to the bus-stop. This meant that every morning I had to dash from the front entrance into the staff toilet to eat my breakfast (yes I know, v gross) and hid until the bell rang. Recess also meant that my partner and I were accosted in the canteen and grilled by kaypoh and skeptical little girls who demanded to know why we were Miss Teo and Mr Teo but not married to each other. Hahahaha!
Was touched by the students' adoration. But I also knew that they would soon forget me, like I've forgotten many of my primary school teachers, not to mention just a 4-day vendor. I only hope that they remember to have love for Art. Like I was telling those who moaned that their work is ugly, don't judge a work or your own ability until you have put in your patience and best effort, and complete the work properly. Most of them don't have the patience.
One form teacher, also a senior Art teacher, was very encouraging. She would praise my efforts during class, or even when I bumped into her around school. I was impressed by her dynamism and firmness with her class. This was the longest stint I've had with the same group of students and teachers, so naturally I felt closer to them.
A few days ago I wrote a thank-you email to her, and she surprised me by trying to get her principal to hire me instead of letting MOE send me to Secondary schools. Although her attempt failed, I'm nevertheless grateful and honoured that she has such a good impression of me.
I think that will be a morale-booster for my entry to Sec in January next year. I hope!
P/s: I think Canossa Convent Primary would be a good place to send your daughters, if you're Christian. They have prayers every morning and also before each lesson, where they would pray to have the patience and attention to listen to their teachers. Discipline is also very good, with teachers reminding them of how a 'proper girl' should behave. Nice nostalgic colonial campus.

As usual, more photos in my
art blog under 'Events'.
Labels: Designing My Future