It's been another hectic month for me as my previous projects have still been moving 1 step, then taking 2 steps back. Clients who don't know what they want. Sigh. Very very low motivation for working on their designs when I know that there's a very high chance that it'll be for nothing.
So the past few days I've been rebellious and a very un-professional designer. Instead of working on the above-mentioned project, I've been fiddling with illustration. Took part in an illustration challenge on
Threadless.com. You can see my submissions on my
design site. Look under 'portfolio'.

Also did some catching up with a childhood friend. Danny's the son of my mum's best friend from 30 years ago... my older sister and I used to go for swimming lessons with him at Toa Payoh Swimming Complex when we stayed in Balestier long time ago.
My deepest memory with him was when SBC was showing 盗日英雄传 or some 古装片, and we referred to one another by the chaacters (yes, v lame I realise now). Because he was v tanned, he was Chen Tianwen. My sis was Xiang Yun, and I was Chen Liping's 'Princess ChangPing' cos I was white and round -__-". Haha!

But as we moved away and grew up, we kept in contact less and less. More so for me, as my sis and he were closer in age and had more to talk about. The last I heard, he joined the police force, then got into a little trouble :( Now he's found a new career doing corporate gifts. And suddenly, he's getting married to his girlfriend of many years!
So I went to do my manicure, in preparation for his wedding dinner this past Saturday. Opposite me was a bitchy lady who was treating her mum and aunt to a manicure, and who was kicking up a ruckus because the manicurists had used her 'deluxe' package for them. Conclusion: the older ladies would have to use the normal package and top up the difference in price.
I was a bit put off, by her ah-lian mannerisms, as well as asking her elders to pay from their own pockets. Haiyoh!
Well, the world has a strange way of working.
Went for Danny's wedding and was oohing and aahing with my parents over their wedding pics. Apart from being a little plumper now, Danny is still tall, dark and handsome. The bride was very photogenic; she looks a little like Jade Seah, but a better version ;)
But ah... You know why she seemed so photogenic to me? Because I've seen her before somewhere.
Yes, she is that lady at the manicure salon.

Nearly fainted when I realised that. As usual the photo montage onscreen was flashing photos of the couple and I suddenly caught a glimpse of the 2 aunties I saw at the manicure salon. SHIT!!!!! I thought. And it all came back to me.
As I left the ballroom at the end of the day, I had an uncomfortable sinking feeling. You know, the feeling when you suspect that your friend is hooking up with a lousy gf/bf. Only that a gf/bf is temporary, whereas a wife is permanent (or so it used to be).
But my sis pointed out something that made sense: with Danny's stubborn nature and bad temper, such a lady would be just right to keep him under control ;) Yes, one man's meat can indeed be another man's poison. I just hope that she'll not get in the way if my sis and I decide to reminisce with him someday.
I wish Danny all the best.
Labels: Cynic In The House, Designing My Future, Nostalgic Nut