While we're on the topic of food, I need to clarify something. It's been bugging me so badly that I just want to scream!!!
Wasabi is pronounced as wah-sah-
BEE !!!!
Not wah-sah-bey!!!

If it's the latter, it'll be spelled "wasabe", not "wasabi".
And why should you believe me? Cos I majored in Japanese Studies in university
(sorry not trying to brag).
If you're still skeptical, ask any native Japanese.
I wonder if they also want to scream every time they hear some Singaporean trying to flaunt their Japanese 'knowledge' by dropping this word. Especially celebrities on TV, who teach viewers the wrong pronunciation and spark off new chains of linguistic mistakes :( Not good.
BTW, the wasabi we eat in sushi shops here are mostly cheap imitations, as the real root is more expensive. You just need a little of the real stuff to convey the same spiciness of a whole glop of the fake stuff.
I learnt this from watching Japan Hour. Read more
here.

Labels: Being Random, Cynic In The House