It's just not the same.
It has been an uncertain few weeks for me. I had previously mentioned applying for a teaching job at MOE; that has more or less taken shape by now. Went for the interview, bargained with them for Primary level so I can teach Art to children. That didn't work :(
Was called up for an Art portfolio appraisal at NIE this past Friday. Went there only to discover it was for Secondary level. Sigh. How come they still do not care whether the candidate is truly passionate about what he/she will be teaching?
Maybe I should also count my blessings that my interview panel were nice friendly people, as opposed to the panel next door which had a dragon lady in it. I should be grateful that they have at least accommodated my request for Art, albeit not with young children.
I haven't received the official letter yet. If everything goes well, I should expect to start contract teaching in a Secondary school near my home in the coming months. I am VERY, VERY apprehensive about working with teenagers. Already, I feel like slapping them when I see them behaving badly in public spaces. This will be a real test of my patience and tolerance.

But at least for contract teaching, I can wave the white flag with a month's notice. I just don't like the idea that I'm being forced to do something I abhor, with the most likely prospect of it not lasting and worth the effort in the first place.
If MOE had deigned to offer me Primary level, I could see myself doing it for a long time, at least with my current interest in working with kids. Now, with teenagers, i'll be surprised if I actually sign the bond when next July comes. Well, maybe I'll surprise myself.
But with my sensitive nose, pimply teenagers with bad B.O. and big attitude problems will be a big hurdle to cross! Living with conflicts, headaches and high blood pressure every day is not exactly my ideal lifestyle...
Labels: Cynic In The House, Designing My Future