Time really flies and it's been half a year since I left my previous job. Initial plans of moving into a design or advertising company were squished as I realised after more than a few applications that no one was interested to hire someone like me --- seems like my USP
(unique selling point) of being both a designer and copywriter wasn't that appreciated.

Never mind then, I have had a whale of a time staying home. I enjoy waking up naturally after the sun is up, playing with my cats and watching them sleep, having the time to leisurely cook lunch, exercise a bit, not to mention catching up on cable TV. With so many distractions, I hardly kept to my timetable; the idea was to complete a piece of design each day, which would allow me to try out different styles.
But too many months have been wasted and I've got to up my game. Not that the wasted months were in vain; the 'rest period' allowed some thoughts to ferment and now I've got a clearer idea of what I want. The creative work that I dabble in now is so much more satisfying than the monotonous office work that I was doing day after day; it's much more rewarding to see something that I created from scratch.

My main subsistence now is freelance copywriting and design projects... I've lost count of the number of jobs I've pitched for with full mockups done, only to be told they decided to award to someone cheaper
(spoil market) or cancelled the project altogether. Not very encouraging!
I also had a scuffle with the government GeBiz pitching system whose low efficiency cost me a job. I had spent a full day doing mockups for a project and logged in to submit them. On the last screen as I was uploading the files, the system hung and logged me out. And locked me out. By the time I managed to get in again, the bidding period was closed!
This had happened a few times in my previous job, when I was on the other side as the client. Usually we accept this explanation as long as the vendor emails us their pitch once they encounter the problem, so as to prove that they were in time and eligible. This time however, the client did not bother to help me even when I approached him. Very sad... his loss :(

But the good news is I've just got myself my first big copywriting project! From my previous company
(though I'm quite sure they were impartial). Being a stat board, it will help to boost my resume :) Of course the almost 5-figure income will help too. I'm just keeping an open mind as to when the job will actually be completed and the funds come in ;)
So that has been a booster shot for my morale. My sis has also been giving me freelance work for her advertising agency. It actually looks as though I can make a living from doing this!
Over and out for now.
Labels: Designing My Future