Two recent incidents made me think of this question.
The first.
I realised I had left behind one of my copywriting drafts in my previous workplace. It was a 10+ page script with camera directions etc and I needed it as a sample to apply for a job. I was proud of that piece of work. But it was so long and impossible to remember and rewrite.
I had passed a softcopy to my covering colleague before I left, so I texted her to forward a copy to me. To my surprise, she rejected to do so, due to 'confidentiality issues'. She said she wanted to oblige me 'as a friend', but the boss had emphasised not to circulate it.
I found her explanation flawed. (1) The current version they are working on has mutated beyond my draft, so it should not affect the launch of the final version (if it actually happens). (2) Nobody will find out if she doesn't say. (3) This colleague has quit and is serving her notice so she will not be held responsible even if someone finds out. (4) Since when does anyone care about 'confidentiality'? (5) The script was written by ME, so aren't I entitled to some copyright too?
I was disappointed because I had been very helpful and welcoming to this colleague when she first joined the department. And we had been comparatively close all this time. Although objectively, confidentality is a reason, but subjectively, I feel betrayed. I did not expect her to choose an abstract organisation propaganda over our concrete friendship.
I have only one thought now... "Don't friend you". On hindsight that's petty of me, so I take it back. But still, things will never be the same.
The second.
I've only met my fellow ceramic instructors for the 3rd time and already they're grilling me on how I met my husband, how many kids I want, why I am not pregnant yet, how many times a week I 'try to get pregnant', as well as try to invite themselves to my home. What makes them think we're buddies now? Is it a generation gap thing, as they're 7-11 years younger than me?
Whatever the reason, I just feel like telling them, "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!!" Now I have to resort to rushing off after every class so I don't have to take anymore tedious bus-train journeys with them.
Sigh.
19 Jul update: This Thursday I made an excuse to leave early so I didn't have the take transport with them. But I underestimated them. As I was walking out of the school, they shouted from the classroom "Good luck with the baby". SIGH. What's their problem?
Labels: Cynic In The House, Nostalgic Nut