Every year on the 2nd day of Lunar New Year, all my mum's siblings and their children gather at our place for lunch. We usually order a buffet, but that always results in lots of leftovers as we're about 10 short of the minimum 30 pax order. Not to mention that it makes things a little formal. So this year, we concurred and decided on ordering 3 sets of the KFC Golden Fiesta meal for 1230pm.
1245pm came and went, so I called them up to check. Imagine my shock when the girl on the other end replied that there was no record of my order in their system. Shock turned into anger when despite listing out my ordering date and time, the girl insisted that they had no record. The last straw came when she said "Mam, our records show that you did not make an order with us."
She repeated this line a few times. What happened to good service? She could at least have said "Sorry but it seems that our records did not capture your order." What's with accusing the customer of not having ordered?
She also showed no signs of being apologetic and robotically stated that I can order 'now' and get my order in 2.5 hrs. Which was of course not viable when my guests are already waiting.
This, after I had been so careful when making my order. I double-checked if they were able to take my order, seeing that there will be a holiday surge. "No problem Mam." I asked for an order number in case there was any problem with my order. "No mam, we don't give order numbers. Just call again and we will check your records."
Apparently my 15-minute call just disappeared from their records.
My dad had to drive out in search of food, foraging on a public holiday when all the food stalls were closed and deserted. In the end we had to resort to buying packets of briyani from the indian stall near our place, with all our relatives sitting around and waiting. How embarrassing! It didn't help that I was the one who made the order, and it seemed like I didn't do my job well.
An auntie commented that I should have asked for the name of the guy I was ordering from. Maybe I should have. But from my previous job experience manning phonelines, we were told to give fake names when asked for ours. So somehow I'm skeptical that it would have made a difference.
Labels: Cynic In The House