Finally got my very first MacBook! That's one aim of all wannabe-designers, as getting your first Mac means you're on your way to acquiring some (super irritating but very useful) single-click and why-isn't-the-#$%&-control-button-working skills.
On advice of a IT-savvy friend, I was waiting for the new Leopard OS platform to be launched. Sitex came at a very tempting time. Ironically, I didn't get it from the official EpiCentre booths, but from an Apple Re-seller called DG Lifestyle. Thanks to forums such as hardwarezone.com and yourfirstcreditcard.com, the flyers were already uploaded for easy perusal. Saved me the hassle of getting squashed at Sitex as well, as its shop was just at Vivocity, 1 station from my workplace.

My buying experience was so different from the service (or non-service) I got from the Funan shop. This shop DG Lifestyle is actually serviced by young people who look like real computer geeks and designers. They knew exactly what I needed, gave good advice without me asking, and answered my dumb questions without making me feel stupid. E.g. how to switch on har? how to charge har?
The guys zerng-ing my MacBookThey actually dissuaded me from buying some protective stickers for my Mac and helped to stick the miserable screen protector ($45 for a piece of thin film *cry*) I bought from them. Best of all was the price!
I topped-up $599 for all of these:
- Upgrade from 1GB to 4GB RAM (usually costing over $1100)
- Microsoft Office for Mac ($275)
- 1GB thumbdrive ($30)
- Padded laptop cover ($33)
- Mac keyboard cover ($29)
- Wireless optical mouse ($50)
- Mousepad ($12)
- Earphones ($109)
- LCD screen cleaning kit ($20)
Worth a total of at least $1,700! These products were taken straight off the shelf with their price labels when I bought them, meaning their costs are not inflated and I was really getting a good deal. I still don't get how they can afford to give the RAM at such a low price. And how come there wasn't a huge crowd grabbing such a good bargain.
Had assumed the 'DG' in the shop name means 'digital'. Some local shop. Then I realised from their carrier bag that it's actually a branch of a Hong Kong franchise called 'Designer Group'. No wonder I felt right at home! Might explain their ability to give the good deal too. DG Lifestyle at #02-10 Vivocity :)
Although I almost exhausted my (not yet received) year-end bonus on the MacBook, I was so elated, ecstatic, euphoric! Couldn't wait to fiddle with it and went straight home without stopping to grab dinner. Almost paranoid that someone in the crowd would bang into me and...
My precious~
.jpg)
Finally home!
Labels: Designing My Future