Irasshaimase!
This is Ping Teo's personal blog :)
You can email me at redlychee@yahoo.com.
>
Spoke to HR for my 'informal' exit interview yesterday. Apparently my boss had called them up from overseas leave and asked them to speak to me about money matters. Nope, still no offer of pay rise to make me stay. Just the usual annual increments and 'bonus' for having a good appraisal. I have to admit, momentarily the prospect of a higher pay next year appealed to me.
Then I retched inside. You mean this is all that you can offer to make me stay? The annual increment is a given. No extra money bait? Not that it actually matters (but it sure would be nice to see how much you really want me; words alone are of no use). No amount of money can make me stay if the root of the problem is still there.
I'm repulsed by how no attempt was made to find out and try to resolve the cause of our unhappiness. Perhaps HR knew it was a systematic problem too big for them to control. But isn't that what HR is there for?
All in all, very disappointing 'chat'. Realised maybe my boss didn't really think I'll go; she thought that this money talk was what I wanted and it'll change my mind. Again, very disappointed that she can't see further than that.
She even tried using my colleagues' potential workloads as an excuse to guilt me into staying. Which is despicable, as I'd given her ample warning to hire a replacement. Well I guess then this is goodbye.
Endnote:
A colleague mentioned that they viewed a prospective hire's blog and decided against her as she ranted about her previous employer. So where does that leave me? Somehow I don't really care. I am not being slanderous; I am telling the truth for what it is.
If my future employer is aboveboard, I don't see why he or she needs to be afraid. Afterall the future is IT; there's no way one can control people from speaking their minds or passing word of mouth. Progress should encourage democracy, not silence us.
Labels: Concrete Jungle, Cynic In The House