
Finally it's time for A*Mei's concert! Heavily anticipating it since months ago, I was looking forward to having a good time. I had also attended her first concert here years ago, so was quite sure I would have a good time. Sort of coming full circle as well.

See my ticket stub? I woke up early to book the tics online the 1st day they were released, dumping in $320 for a pair. My hubby had treated me to Jacky's concert, so here I am returning the favour. I was not the earliest buyer, so was only able to get what looked like Row 15 from the seating map. But when the tics came, it said Row 4. So hmmm. Let's see where our seats are. I wasn't worried about the view, as it was to be a 4-sided stage.

When we arrived I was so elated to realise that our seats were actually Row 2, as they had removed the rows in front to make room for the larger stage. Row 2!!! A*MEI!!!! But...
Seems like she was used to having the band on the right side behind her... so it turned out that she was facing our opposite side the whole night, even though she did make a conscious effort to alternate the sides
(which I felt was distracting her from throwing herself into the performances). Most of the night we ended up looking at her back :(

But when she did walk around near our side, I went crazy with the camera like any worthy fan. I love my new 10X optical zoom digicam with video function! Too bad the battery died halfway and I missed her last 3 costume changes :(



A*Mei showing off her sequinned top
(it was really, really glittering).





She spent most of this costume time back-facing us. Later she added cat ears to play the electric guitar. Woooo hot!


An elegant gown for the slow songs.

After this she wore a pink Moulin-Rouge corset top with tutu-like skirt to sing 《Victoria's Secret》, a sultry song written for her by 曹格. She also changed into a loose top with a star design created by LED lights.
My favourite part though, was when she responded to the encore calls by appearing in a black tee with a gold lion motif
(sold at the door for $36 but I regretably didn't get one) and jeans. Sitting on the elevated platform, she strummed the guitar and sang her trademark sentimental songs.
Later she went around the edge of the stage to sing and dance to her fast songs, calling the audience to stand up and dance. It was amazing how even at the end of the concert, her stamina was high and voice was still so steady. A*Mei was also very down-to-earth and intimate with the audience; no diva feeling at all.
In person, she looks much younger, more petite and lithe, her new haircut suits her very well
(although it irritated the hell out of us when she kept fiddling with it throughout the night). It made me think that ooh, it's highly possible that rumours about her and Wang Lee Hom might be true, as previously I felt they were a little mis-matched.
Ok kaypoh session over. To leave you, just to mention that I appreciated how she sang a balanced mixture of her new songs and old, and was considerate enough to flash the lyrics on the many screens provided. This was the 1st time I've heard a concert audience sing so loudly without prompting and with such chemistry; it moved me to choking point.
I was glad to see 马玉芬 as one of her back-up singers. Remember her? She sang 《关于爱情》with 伍思凯 a long time ago. Now she's a voice coach and arranger for back-up melodies. Also appreciate the fact that A*Mei used a huge percentage of Singaporean musicians in her concert.
Oh, and... I don't know why, but it seems like she attracted a lot of gays. Maybe they appreciate her strong passion for music and her image of being powerful and sensual. It was also funny how the ladies turned up dressing like her, in thigh-high boots and sexy vests hahaaa. Nope, I went in tee and jeans.
P/s: Video clips too huge, check them out in my Facebook :)
Labels: Sing A Song