11:29 pm Monday, March 26, 2007
The big 30
Today's the day I turn 30, crossing over the divide into supposed 'adulthood'. Yet somehow, I don't feel any more mature and wise. Where's the gravitas we're supposed to have as we grow older?Perhaps it's because I'm a typical Singaporean who has grown up in this greenhouse-d society (or one author would call 'an air-conditioned city'), all sheltered and carefully nurtured to develop into a perfect bloom, and not deviate from the norm. I have not been exposed to strong shocking experiences which would turn the course of my life, have not come into contact with and been inspired by people interesting and brave enough to choose different lives. I've only been shown the stable and 'right' course of everyday life, and been constantly reinforced with how important and useful these 'tools' would be to the rest of my Life.Life: with a lower or upper case 'L'? Most of us live our lives like it's just a tool to attain our ultimate goal - to some it can be that penthouse in Orchard Rd. To others it may be early retirement and a trip around the world. So we work work work like robots to accumulate enough gold to finally redeem our prize.There's a saying that life should be a journey, not a destination. That's when life becomes Life. I agree and believe so. It's the joy and fulfillment I find in every day that justifies my purpose on this planet/dimension. However, it's easier said than implemented, and I find myself constantly getting lost, losing sight of this among the dailly grind of work.Was just chatting with 2 girlfriends the other day as we met up to celebrate our birthdays, all in this month of March. We were horrified to realise that we were still mired in the legendary 'quarter-life crisis' we moaned about when we first stepped into working society - 6 or 7 years ago.Is it normal to feel lost and in need of direction?Are we being too restless to be looking elsewhere for fulfillment when we all already have stable good-paying jobs?Did our parents feel the same way, and how did they manage to work all their lives til now?Will there come a day when we finally find resolution to our situation?30 years old... and still searching for the answers. Sad isn't it?Labels: Being Random