6:33 pm Friday, January 26, 2007
Children! Stop fighting!
Last night I was enjoying my slow walk home from the MRT when I saw Ah Meow crouched beside a car in the parking lot. Seldom do I see her so focussed, as though all the muscles in her body were tensed up and ready to spring.I went to peek, and saw another cat under the car. Ok, so Ah Meow wasn't snarling or anything, so I proceeded to lay out her food beside her, and tried to lure her over. She looked at me, meow-ed, and went back to her business. Then I heard it. Snarl~~Curious, I crouched lower to peek at the other cat. I assumed it was one of the big white cats that also roam the estate. I wasn't worried about Ah Meow. If she picked a fight, she would be able to defend herself.I got the shock of my life. The moonlight fell on the face of the cat under the car, and it was Orange! The silly kitten must have wandered away from his 'territory' and didn't know what he was getting himself into. Just then, Ah Meow attacked and the two of them ran off shrieking. After the dust settled, I tracked them down to a part of the void deck. I could only see Ah Meow standing behind a pillar, slowly waving her heavy tail. Circling the pillar, I found Orange lying on his back, head facing Ah Meow, and claws in the air, poised to defend himself. On the floor was lots of shit. I realised he had shitted out of fear.Poor kitten. So I scolded Ah Meow, who looked at me and meow-ed, but again didn't want to give up. I physically went between the two of them. Orange immediately ran and hid behind me, and Ah Meow started grumbling and trying to come near. My attempt at mediation failed.Ah Meow was really pissing me off. So I scooped Orange up in my arms and marched off to his territory. Ah Meow ran fast behind me, excited. I stopped in my tracks and Ah Meow looked around, not knowing that Orange was up here in my arms. I think she thought Orange had ran off and I was joining her in the search for him. Anyway, I managed to lose Ah Meow after running around the carpark.Orange was full of gratitude when I brought him back to his 'home'. Where he previously was too scared of me and would run away if I went near, now he rolled all over and butted me with his head. I sat with him for a while before going home. Smelling of cat poo and covered with fur.I guess I can't blame Ah Meow for what she did, as it's instinct. Can't imagine what would have happened if I had come home earlier or later, and missed being there to intervene. So difficult to take sides, when both were under my care. Haiyoh!Labels: Animals Were Here First