Yesterday my fiance and I attended the Her World Brides show at a hotel in the Marina area. I had enthusiastically asked him to sign us up at $22 per couple when we were just beginning to plan our wedding. On hindsight (and wiser now after our research), I have no idea why we would want to attend it.
The show had booths on geomancy and choosing of wedding dates, plastic surgery, wine, bridal boutiques etc. Sounds interesting, but then, these are only businesses who paid to be showcased. Planning for the most important event in our lives, it makes sense that any couple would want to do proper research before choosing their vendors.
So it doesn't make sense to commit to any of the 'special promotions' offered at the show. Unless you're the type who just wants to get things over with. Or you've decided on the businesses with booths at the show and are planning to zoom in on their special offers.It was rather scary to see 600+ couples thronging the small venue, especially the buffet queue during lunch. The hosting hotel (who had also advertised their banquet services during the show) ironically arranged a buffet set-up that was so frustrating and ineffective that many couples simply gave up and chose to go hungry. Bye bye $22. And how's that for negative publicity?Yes, all of us couples were there for the same purpose: to check out what's available. But we are not all the same. I'm sure that every couple was trying to find something special and different that they can do, within the confines of the normal wedding practices.
So we did not appreciate it when the irritating event emcee made sarcastic remarks and prevented people from leaving the hall during show items. The businesses holding talks in the smaller rooms also tried to close the door to keep us in, herding us around as though we have no free will. If it's not relevant to us, why should we have to waste time and sit through it? Hey, we are paying you, remember?On the up side, I had some fun talking to other brides-to-be as we sampled the free paraffin hand wax and makeover etc (though I malu-ed myself trying to be friendly to a few unfriendly women). Now that I've experienced the camaraderie, I understand a little why some people would actually take part in a mass wedding haha! But nope, that's not for me. A mass workout, maybe.Labels: Cynic In The House