11:31 am Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Land ho!
Another reason why I've not been writing, is that the last few weeks have been a period of uncertainty for me. 3 main matters occupied my mind, so I wasn't really in the mood to blog about it as the dust had not settled.
Firstly there was a little emergency with Ah Meow, my bus stop cat. One day I found her at the void deck of the block behind the bus stop, and for some reason, she didn't want to go back to her old spot. She followed me til the flight of steps up, sat down and refused to budge. I couldn't move her big butt even by pushing. I think someone must have tried to attack her, so that spot had become unsafe. So I had to give in to her, and moved all her barang barang down to the void deck, identifying suitable spots for her new corner. That's important, finding a corner which is inconspicious enough to keep her out of trouble, yet open enough so passerbys can see if someone tries to sabotage her food.Anyway, I found a spot behind the stairs. Took me some time to orientate Ah Meow to her new corner. She was still apprehensive and kept looking around, only eating in peace if I squatted beside and stroked her so she knew I was watching over her. But irritating, the next day everything disappeared. Even the big tin of dried food. I think the cleaner cleared them. So I stuck a note up on the wall and woke up early the next day (sob, 730am on a Sun!) to stake out the corner, hoping to catch the cleaner. The cleaner didn't show, so the food stayed. I was still skeptical. And seriously worried about my next move if the cleaner should keep clearing the food. My mum said that it would mean my fate with Ah Meow has ended and I should let go. Er, no~ it doesn't make sense to just act blur if I know I would be abandoning her to hunger and very possibly death. If the bus stop Auntie could do so much for Ah Meow, even paying for the food (one $7+ pack every fortnight) when her kiosk was making a loss, there is no reason I can't. Sometimes it's a matter of whether you want to, not whether you can or can't.Being the kiasu Singaporean that I am, the next day I got my colleagues to help translate my sign into the 4 official languages (the benefit of working in a publications department). So now there's a long-winded poster on the void deck wall explaining how I will keep the area clean, so hopefully germaphobes don't freak out and start calling AVA (which by the way, catches and disposes of strays as long as people complain, even if they are sterilized! DUH! These people should be sterilized so their defective brain genes don't get passed down.)For now Ah Meow is contented with her little corner. She's also found a vantage point to watch the world from. I have plans to hang around on weekends and maybe get the children in the void deck playing with her. Maybe then they will watch over her as well. Hmm.Labels: Animals Were Here First