5:25 pm Monday, August 07, 2006
Advertising your head
This time 2 years ago, I was a bright-eyed Art student, filled with hopes and dreams about a career in the advertising industry. For months we had been thinking up ad concepts in class projects, and I derived huge satisfaction and an adrenaline rush from working my brain that way. It was partially ego-driven I confess, cos a great concept proves that you are not that dumb up there afterall. And I was not the only one. Many previously laid-back classmates suddenly bucked up and showed an interest in doing good work. My ad lecturer of course encouraged and spurred us on.But alas, it was only a mirage. As we attended more industry events to rub shoulders with top notch ad creatives, it became apparent how important it was to be good at socialising if one was to make it in the advertising circle. Not to say that the people are fake. I guess in such an intense creative environment filled with eccentric personalities, you really need strong PR skills. So you don't end up ripping out one another's jagular on a daily basis.It was my internship at a top MNC ad agency that broke my resolve. The people were nice to me, especially the ECD (that's Executive Creative Director for the layman). But he was also painfully frank when he sat me down and told me that I would not make it in advertising as I was too guai1 i.e. don't drink, smoke, party, hang out late, curse & swear. Apparently, that's where inspiration comes from. He also said I lacked the hunger to survive in the industry. At that time, demoralised though I was, I was still feeling rebellious that he didn't understand me enough. I was living and breathing advertising. Isn't that kind of passion enough? Then, I didn't get the full meaning of what he said. But now I do. Once I graduated, 'prettied' up my portfolio and went seeking a job as Junior Art Director, reality gradually sank in. I received job offers but had a nagging uneasiness about the prospect of working 15-hr days 7 days a week, for the meagre pay of $1500. Job satisfaction could never replace time with my family and the warm comfort of my bed. It didn't help that I have a degree and can earn more in a more comfortable/stable job if I want to. So yah, I guess you were right T.I. You called me bluff.I still have upmost respect for ad creatives though. Having gone through the dilemma myself, I know how much they have to sacrifice to get where they are today. Especially the head honchos. It's a wonder some of them even found time to pak tor and get married. I have never felt that kind of 'hunger' for anything so far in my life. (The closest I got was quitting my $2500 job to go back to school, get a diploma in Visual Coms and fulfil my dream of becoming an 'arty person'.)
I find it scary, how vital it is for creatives in the ad circle to stay ahead of the competition. Each day is spent wondering how to raise your profile; brainstorming for pro-bono ads to sell to clients so you can win awards and see your name up in bright lights. The more awards listed under your name, the more salary you can negotiate, the higher you can climb, the further you can jump. It's a big game of musical chairs. No such thing as employee loyalty or vice versa. Then there are the many award ceremonies where the industry pats itself on its back, while the rest of the world has barely an idea of what it's all about. Is self-praise real praise?Each industry works in its own way, so who am I to criticise. Personally though, I would want the focus to be on the quality of my work. Rather than on me. Does my ad draw in the target audience? Will they 'get it'? What's the use of a sleek clever ad if the message doesn't get through to the audience? Maybe being an ad creative requires some degree of ego-centrism. And somehow I'm glad I don't have that :) P/s: Ad creative are cool people though.
Labels: Designing My Future